26 Mississippi Counties Approved for Infrastructure Disaster Aid

RIDGELAND, Miss. – (RealEstateRama) — The state of Mississippi, local governments and certain private nonprofits in 26 Mississippi counties are now eligible to receive federal assistance to help cover expenses and repair damage associated with the severe storms and flooding that occurred March 9-29, 2016, according to state and federal officials.

The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency said an amendment to the disaster declaration of March 25, authorizes the Public Assistance program for Bolivar, Claiborne, Clarke, Coahoma, Covington, Forrest, Greene, Holmes, Jefferson Davis, Jones, Lamar, Leake, Leflore, Lincoln, Marion, Panola, Pearl River, Perry, Quitman, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tunica, Walthall, Washington and Wayne counties.

The Public Assistance Grant Program is a reimbursement program paid to state, tribal and local governments, and certain private nonprofits. Under the Public Assistance program, FEMA pays 75 percent of the cost for repairs, overtime and debris removal. Typically, the remaining 25 percent is split between state and local governments at 12.5 percent each. Eligible nonprofits are responsible for the full 25 percent. The program is administered by MEMA. Eligibility and project approval is determined by FEMA.

MEMA and FEMA will schedule applicant briefings with officials of eligible entities and nonprofit organizations in the designated counties. MEMA and FEMA will provide information on the application process, as well as deadlines for submission of necessary documents to receive federal reimbursement.

The applicant briefings may be followed by face-to-face meetings in local communities between FEMA, state officials and eligible applicants.

MEMA and FEMA and their local, state and federal partners are also providing assistance to individuals affected by the storms.

Survivors in the 16 Mississippi counties designated for the Individual Assistance Grant Program can register online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling the FEMA helpline at (voice, 711 or relay service) 800-621-3362. (TTY users should call 800-462-7585.) The toll-free lines are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available. Survivors may also call the helplines with questions regarding their applications or the appeals process.

There are 16 Mississippi counties designated for FEMA’s Individual Assistance Grant Program, including: Bolivar, Clarke, Coahoma, Forrest, George, Greene, Jones, Marion, Panola, Pearl River, Perry, Quitman, Sunflower, Tunica, Washington and Wayne.

For more information on Mississippi’s flood recovery, go to fema.gov/disaster/4268 or visit the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency website at msema.org.

###

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who are referred to SBA must submit the loan application to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

SHARE

On March 1, 2003, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The primary mission of the Federal Emergency Management Agency is to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the Nation from all hazards, including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters, by leading and supporting the Nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation

Contact:

1 (800) 621-FEMA (3362)

Previous articleTallahatchie County Added to Federal Disaster Declaration for March Severe Storms and Floods
Next articleDisaster Recovery Centers Stress Accessibility for All